© Cuteimage | Dreamstime.com - Education concept
How does a school or educational organization get ‘Compassionate’ status?
These instructions are suggestions for technical schools, colleges and universities who may be looking for guidelines to follow when considering becoming a compassionate institution.
- Organize a Compassionate Action Group to help set the framework for becoming a Compassionate School or organization.
- Register your campaign with The Charter.
- Reach out to the decision makers in your school community or within your organization. Ask the questions: Who needs to be on board? Who needs to say "yes" to the campaign and its being accepted?
- Draft a plan for becoming a compassionate school/organization and take it through appropriate channels. Consider how the school/organization will be different and doing things differently over the next years. Will there be special programs? Will courses be added? Are there practices at the school or within the organization that could possibly change? Every applicant needs to explore the issues of "compassion" as it will be implemented in its own community.
- Engage the school/organization in dialogue about the Charter and encourage the signing of the document by individual members of the community.
- Write a final statement,* declaration, resolution or proclamation to sign and implement the Charter.
*The final document is one that can be referred to on a regular basis, and adapted to meet the changing needs of your institution.
What are the next steps?
- Review who is part of the community.
- Read about what they have done to become compassionate schools/colleges/universities/organizations.
- Decide on your plan of action.
- Apply to be a Charter Partner.
- Implement your plan.
- Share your success.